Above all such natural phenomena belong to the recreational potential of Kamchatka, to exotic objects and specific features, like magnificent mountain crests with much gone out and active volcanoes, a lot of warm and cold mineral springs, geyser, Fumarole as a rule in the picturesque valleys which are surrounded by mountains with points moving in the sky in the everlasting snow, with luxuriant green in slopes and lakes. Kamchatka is astonishingly rich in waters: Here there is up to 14,000 rivers and brooks, about 100,000 big and small lakes. 414 glaciers with whole surface of 871.1 km2
Best of Skitouring on Kamchatka
This Ski-Tour programme is a good mix of skitouring on volcanoes and tree runs.
If you are in Kamchatka for ski-touring or freeriding and looking for a mix of different type of terrain, amazing views and quality skiing, this programme is a good choice. It has moderate physical and technical difficulty, and suits intermediate and advanced skiers and snowboarders with skitouring/splitboarding experience.
We start on Avachinsky pass, staying in mountain hut and skitouring on the slopes of Avachinsky and Koryaksky volcanoes. Skitouring is not very technical, but provides exciting skiing and impressive views. In good weather, you'll see the breathtaking panorama of the Avachinskaya bay, Petropavlovsk, volcanoes surrounding and the Shipunsky mountain range.
After three days of skiing on the Avachinsky pass Basecamp we will move to the south, to the Paratunka river valley, where we spend two days enjoying birch tree powder skiing and relaxing in hot springs. Daily ski-tours are not technically and physically difficult, but provide good tree line skiing with breathtaking sceneries. Depending on weather and conditions, we also can spend one day in Sredinny range, skiing birch trees forest and enjoying scenery of central Kamchatka.
Dates and Details about the Kamtschatka Skitour
Dates from 2022
March 23-31 / March 16-24 March
Custom dates for this tour are available
Price: 1790 EUR, per person.
discounts for Groups available
Tour Price includes:
- 6 days of skitouring and guiding
- All transfers on Kamchatka
- Meals on Avachinsky Basecamp: breakfast, lunch in the mountains and dinner
- Lunch packs for the days in Paratunka valley
- Cooking service on Avachinsky pass
- Accommodation in mountain hut on Avachinsky pass, from 2nd to 5th days, incl. Sauna
- Accommodation in Paratunka valley, from 5th to 8th days, TWIN.
- International flights to Kamchatka
- Travel insurance/travel cancellation insurance
Equipment for the Kamchatka Ski-Tour
Please service your skis or board before arrival, or bring pocket waxes as there is no ski-service at our base. We have some repair parts and tools to fix most common problems which might arise, but we do not have equipment for hot waxing.
We advise you to carefully read the following list. You will not be able to buy or rent the equipment out here, so do bring everything with you. If you have any questions about equipment or items on (or not on) this list please don’t hesitate to email and ask for advice.
Here is an example of set of clothes that we recommend. You can change it according to your preferences, but be sure that your clothes suit the weather and temperature during your trip.
- Weather Layer Top - Gore-Tex/Softshell or other waterproof breathable jacket
- Weather Layer Pants - Gore-Tex/Softshell or other waterproof breathable pants
- Warm jacket – Down/synthetic
- Mid-Insulation Layer Top - Polartec 100 or analogue
- Base Layer Top and Bottom, mid or warm – 2 pieces each
- Mid weight socks - 2-3 pairs
- Sun cap
- Light gloves
- Insulated gloves or mittens
- Hut shoes
- Touring Skis, around 90mm under the binding if you wanna have a nice ride. Or more (:
- Skins. Glue should be in good condition, renew if necessary.
- Touring Boots
- Ski crampons
- Telescopic Poles
- Ski helmet
- Repair Kit
Ski-mountaineering gear :
- Boot crampons, compatible with your boots. Aluminium or steel, 10/12-points
- Ice axe, 55-65 cm.
- Transceiver (two antenna minimum), extra batteries.
Basic touring equipment:
- Backpack, 25-35 litres
- Duffel, for carrying your stuff by snowmobile/snowcat, water resistant.
- Personal First Aid kit, blister kit
- Thermos, 0.5-0.7 litres
- Water flask, 1 litre
- Sunglasses, plus extra pair (CE rated 3 or 4)
- Ski goggles
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- Personal toiletries, light towel.
- Sun/Cold and Lip Cream
- Sleeping bag liner for the hut